Re: Hydrotriche hottoniflora

Hi Rachel,
I am not an expert on the plant, but I have a large stand of it in my 125
gallon tank. I got my original piece from Paul Krombholz at the AGA
Conference last November.

It is listed in the Tepoot book, Aquarium Plants, The Practical Guide, but
that is about all I could find out about it.

My experience with it: H. hottoniflora does well in a high light, CO2
injected tank. I dose TMG. It is bright green in color. A nice feature of
this needle leaf plant is that in my tank the stems keep their leaves all the
way down to the substrate. They do not become leggy, and so look nice in full
view and don't have to be placed behind wood or rock for aesthetics.  They
are a nice stem, in that they are steady, but not fast growers, so they
require pruning every month or so in my tank, not every week. I originally
snipped the stalk before it reached the surface to try to propogate the
plant, and it would eventually "Y" out, but if you let it grow and spread a
bit on the water surface it will branch out on its own and then you can snip
the shoots. Never available in any of my LFS.  The H. hottoniflora in my tank
can get 2 1/2"-3" wide in diameter, meaning from side to side. The plant has
needle leaves with 12-16 leaves spaced every 1/2"-1" along the stem in a
circular pattern, like the face of a clock.

A very nice stem plant for those of us who don't like fast growing stems.
Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---