Re: Hydrotriche hottoniiflora

    * To: Aquatic-plants at actwin_com
    * Subject: Hydrotiche hottoniiflora
    * From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
    * Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:32:17 -0800

Can anybody tell me about this plant? I can't find much of anything about it
on the web or in my plant books. I can't search the FINS archives because
WinProxy has decided that the site is restricted because of "Sex" - maybe
it's all the discussions of Tom's balls - I mean the algae ones, of course.

Anyway, if somebody could point me to a link or tell me what they know about
it I'd sure appreciate it.

For me, it hasn't been a hard plant to grow.  It looks like a giant
Ceratophyllum, with a stem around 4 mm thick and whorls of leaves like pine
needles usually around 2 inches long.  There are some pictures of it at
Richard Sexton's site (Hope WinProxy doesn't jump on that :-)

http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Hydrotriche/hottoniiflora/

It looks best in a tall tank in a group in the back or at the sides.  It is
a fast grower that likes a bright, open location.  It can be multiplied
easily from cuttings.  Any piece of stem will root and send up shoots.

I almost lost mine when it was totally crowded out by aggressive water
sprite covering the surface on one half of my tank and an aggressive
Barclaya dominating the other half with leaves that cut off nearly all the
light right at the surface.  I fished out a sorry six-inch piece that was
all that was left of my Hydrotriche and replanted it in another tank in an
open location.  It took the piece a few weeks to get its roots down into
the soil under the gravel, but now it has three healthy shoots heading up
to the surface.  The plant is at its most decorative when the shoots are on
the way to the surface.  Once they have reached the surface, they are not
quite so pretty and symmetrical looking.

Paul Krombholz in chily central Mississippi, where we got down to 18
degrees F this morning and broke the low temperature record. That shut up
those spring peepers!