Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1648

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:30:22 -0800 (PST)
> From: Julie Baxes <wild_flower32 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [none]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm upgrading my 29-gallon tank to a 75-gallon soon.
> I'm wondering which filtration system would be
> better--a homemade wet/dry like Chuck Gadd's or an
> Eheim ProII 2026 canister.  I plan to inject CO2 into
> the filter.
>
> While I'm waiting for the new tank, would the Eheim be
> too much filter for my 29-gallon tank?  Has anyone had
> problems with smaller fish getting sucked into the
> overflow of a wet/dry or any other problems?
>
> I'm grateful for any advice on which filter might be
> better.
> Thanks again.
> Julie in Colorado

Julie,
The Eheim 2026 will be fine for your 29 gallon and also for your 75 when you
set it up. One of the nice things about this series of Eheims is that you
can regulate the flow without damaging it using the shut off valves that
come with it. That way if the rate is too much for your 29 gallon you can
stop it down and let it go full when you move it to the 75 gallon. I've
never met anyone who regrets buying an Eheim canister filter. FYI I have TWO
of them on my 55 gallon ( actually one older 2226 and one 2026). I couldn't
resist the price on the 2026 when it was introduced and do anticipate a
larger tank in the future. One tip...get a sponge prefilter to slip over the
intake strainer and your need to break down the filter will be greatly
reduced. I use one that is a replacement for the Marineland reverse
undergravel kit that slips right over the strainer. You can get them from
http://www.drsfostersmith.com , is listed as part number CK-321144 and is
the best $3.00 or so I've ever spent on my tanks! Many LFS's also have them
in stock..
HTH,
Bob Buettner
Still looking for work in Connecticut