RE: New product called ALGAEFIX - kills Oedogonium??

> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:57:44 -0500
> From: Neil Frank <aquarian.subjects at mindspring_com>
> Subject: New product called ALGAEFIX - kills Oedogonium??
>
> At the Carolina workshop, Ray Lucas had a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals display
> where I saw their product "ALGAEFIX." The label says it kills Oedogonium
> (green fur algae) and Audouinella (BBA). There was nothing about
> effects on
> plants and fishes. It said dont use with crustaceans.
>
> The active ingredient is
> POLY(OXYETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE
> DICHLORIDE).
> I am generally sketical about stuff like this (most poly-syllabic
> chemicals
> are nasty), so I have initiated an investigation to find the data they
> presented to get the product registered. If it is bad stuff they will hear
> about it from me. I will also report back to APD.
>
> In the meanwhile, let us know if anyone has anyone has tried the stuff?
>
> Neil
>
> PS. In the late mid 80's I reviewed a bunch of algicides for FAMA,
> including one sold by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. After my critical review,
> their product disappeared from the market. It contained Atrazine, a
> persistant agricultural pesticide, that I learned was causing problems
> (thru runoff) to aquatic life in the Chesapeake Bay.

Neil if this is the product I am thinking of I got a free bottle from a
product show that I went to about a month back and used it in the 6 gallon
Eclipse by our bathroom.  It had at the time Water Wisteria some Java Fern
and some Sagarita grass for plants. The fish were some small tetras, zebra
danios, and a few sparkling or pygmy gouramis.  I think it was some greenish
algae taking over the gravel and climbing up the sides of the tank that had
to be cleaned off several time a week to see the fish and plants.  We used
it for about a month (it calls for you to add it every couple of days, a
little to often for me to remember) and it cleared that tank up pretty
quickly no more algae and I haven't used it for a month or so.  Now that you
reminded me of it I am going to try it in my 55 on the BBA that is taking
over the plants and ruining my day every day cause it makes me so unhappy.
I'll let ya know how it goes.

Matt W.