Re: Biowheels in CO2 added tanks

From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: Biowheels in CO2 added tanks

Mary Alice Kropp said:

> I use a biowheel filter on my 55 gallon planted tank- I know some
> feel it is
> not ideal because of the amount of surface turbulence generated, but
> with
> the reactor and powerhead arrangement inside the tank, it works
> pretty well
> for me.

I think you absolutely can use biowheels on CO2 injected tanks.
I ran
a couple of tanks this way for for about a year or so.  But an awful
lot of the CO2 is lost.  Maintain equal CO2 levels in your aquarium as
you run through one tank of CO2 with the biowheel and then one without
or vice versa.  You might be surprised at the difference.

On the other hand, CO2 is relatively cheap as things in this hobby go,
so if you realy want a biowheel, go ahead. . . .just decide if the
benefits of the biowheel are worth two to three times the number of
trips to the CO2 refill vendor.

Scott H.<<<

My  observations:
Why use them (biowheels)?
 I did because I thought I had to. Bio filtration.
Now my HOTs hold only Walmart polyfill. I retired the Biowheels. Of course I modified my HOTs by putting intake tubes on the outflow side. That is, I have intake tubes on both sides. At lights on I move the outflow tubes below surface. At lights off I pull them up to break water surface. If I don't I wake up to dead or gasping fish due to either lack of oxygen or too much CO2.
At any rate I have 3 easy to maintain canister filters that also do double duty as CO2 producers.
Of course this all falls under DIY on a 125 gallon. Seems my plecs (various rare ones) love it.
Moderate to heavy fish load. Big severums and chocolate cichlids, clown loaches, pearl gouramis, etc. etc.
This is ALL the bio filtration I use now.
Enough plant species and growth to be pleasing but not where I wish it was. Don't know if it is macros or fish bites.
This list is AWESOME!
It is pure Love.
I grow some plants like crazy and then they slow down. I don't know why. Don't know if I will ever know why. But I believe I will find out why eventually if I really want to. And this is THE place I will find out.

Where UBB Developers Come For Answers
------- http://www.ubbdev.com -------