Re: snails

> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:12:05 -0600
> From: "Tom Wood" <tomwood2 at flash_net>
> Subject: RE: Snails
>
> Matt wrote:
>
> "My wife has a little ten gallon planted tank and is tired of puling out two
> dozen snails a week."
>
> Although this is a small tank, a pair of the smallest clown loaches you can
> find might work. They normally prefer to be in small schools. You'll have to
> trade them in as they outgrow the tank.

Hi Matt,

    You might try some zebra loaches (Botia striata). They don't seem to get
much over 2 inches in most aquariums, make short work of snails, are model
citizens and quite attractive. They really do seem to be happiest with some
company of their own kind, so I'd suggest more than one if you can fit them.

    With the population increase in snails that you describe, I would guess
that you have more food going into the tank than you need.

Ron Barter
Perth, Ontario