ANAEROBIC SUBSTRATE

I have frequently read the term "anerobic substrate" in the planted aquarium
web literature.

I would like to know what does it exactly mean?.

Do all the substrates need to have circulation of air inside and how is it
managed?

I have been having a planted tank since one year with substrate of
vermiculite+soil+top layer of coarse sand and I have not touched this
substrate any time. I have been unable to remove even the fish mulm on the
top of this substrate, since immediately & periodically there have been many
molly fries and I was afraid of sucking them out accidently during
syphoning.

Since few months ago I have observed that on the side of the glass tank at
some places below the water level, in the substrate some green and black
spots are seen.
What can these spots be?

DR ATHALE