SPONGE FILTER FOR PLANTED TANK

Hi,

I use sponge filters only and I am very happy with them.  One caveat, though:
 If you stop the flow of water through them, the bacteria that have built up
in the pores of the filter will die, and a small amount of toxins will be
sent into the tank when you restart the air.  Leaving the filter running
constantly won't hurt anything, in my opinion, assuming that the air flow is
set low enough to minimize surface disturbance.

Good luck!

Bill