RE: Red Tiger Lily Question

> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:26:53 GMT
> From: DonT

> Oh, and another question: It seems to be a rhizome
> based plant. If so, how big should I let the rhizome
> get before separating it? Does it reproduce
> vegetatively? I'd like to spread it around my tank...

Hmm... I was about to ask the same type of question. I finally broke down
and tried one - just put it in a 38 less than two weeks ago. Already there
are more daughter plants than there are leaves on the original.

There is a pic posted at
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10/trials/red_tiger.jpg . It's made with
the Intel Pocket PC camera I was enquiring about - not too bad for a low-end
under GroLuxs against black sand. Raw and unretouched, too, so you can
imagine how well it'll do when the tank's lit for photos ;-) ...

The end of the runner is the largest set of leaves visible at the right of
center. Just to its left is a second. A little further left, between the
blades of the closer E. tenellus, is a third. The "mother" is just below the
female A. nijsseni, behind the rear tenellus.

At any rate, it looks like I may have a backup for you - once we find out
one thing. Does a lotus have to form a bulb before being separated, or is it
safe once there's enough leaves to "go solo"?

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com