RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1634

>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:18:21 +0000
>From: "john chen" <algaecommando1 at hotmail_com>
>Subject: CF Lighting

>A couple of questions; Do CF lights last longer than regular T-12 Flo
>lights?  And a second question, I'm getting conflicting opinions from
>various on-line sellers on this point; do I need more than 2-3 watts per
>gallon of light to grow plants well in a 30" deep tank?

	What I am told is that the CF's will burn out before they drop below 90%
original light output, and about 3 years is what I am told is the average
life expectincy of a bulb.  Since the tank is 30" deep you just need to
remember that the strength of the light is getting weaker with every inch of
water that it travels through so if you use more lighting 3-4Watts/gallon
there is a better chance of getting more good light to low growing plants
and other things near the bottom of the tank. Just my thoughts but I think
that's all you wanted.

Matt W.

>-----------------------------

>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:45:47 -0800
>From: "H.P. Lovecraft" <nyarlothep at lycos_com>
>Subject: Recommended filtration system...

>Newbie here,

>I am interested in starting a planted tank, but I'm a little perplexed at
which typed of filter to use.  Right now I've got >a Penguin Bio-wheel.  My
plans are to inject CO2 into the filter box to allow the gas to slowly
dissolve and mix into the   >tank water.  I guess, my main concern is about
charcoal.  Ist it recommended in a planted tank?  The Penguin filter
>cartridges contain activated charcoal in them, which would prove difficult
to remove if need be.

>Thanks,
>  -Rob

	Rob I don't know for sure but I don't think you will get the best CO2
diffusion by running the hose into your filter box. You might be losing to
much through the surface of the water.  As for the charcoal you would
probally be best to cut open the filter bag empty out the charcoal and the
use rubber bands or something else to hold the material to the frame when
you put it back into the tank.  The activated charcoal is a very cheap
quality and contains more phosphates then you want to mess with(if I
remember right it's something like that).  Good Luck

Matt W.