Re: green dust algae

> Subject: Algae on Tank walls, etc.
>
> In previous posts to the APD, I have discussed this “green surface algae”
> that is starting to appear on most inanimate or slow-growing items in my
> tank.  By “surface algae,” I mean it grows on the surface of items in my
> tank, not on the surface of the water.  I just want to clarify and be
> specific.  It’s kind of dusty and can be easily removed from my tank walls
> with an algae scouring pad.

It seems to have the name Green Dust, GD.

  However, sometimes it is harder to remove; more
> like hard green spot algae.  When it grows on my rocks and driftwood, it is
> darn near impossible to remove without a good, hard scrubbing.  In my old
> tank (which was acrylic), this stuff used to appear 3-4 days after a water
> change and was a little more difficult to remove.  Now in my new tank (which
> is glass), it is much easier to remove from my tank walls, but it starts to
> appear after only 2 days.  It seemed to get worse after I added TMG and PO4
> per Tom Barr’s recommendations for a routine tank maintenance and dosing
> schedule.  I’m not saying it’s due to the nutrient additions; it’s just an
> observation.

I have seen this algae, Mr. Rubin please stand up, in well run tanks that
are mature. I was able to induce it from his tank to mine about a few months
ago. It persisted for about 3 weeks. It's appearance is annoying but doesn't
damage plants, is a sign that the plants are doing well generally and that
you have plenty of light. Much better than Green water, BBA etc and easier
to cure.

> The tank has only been up and running for just under two weeks.  The first
> week, I didn’t see any of this algae, and I was hoping I’d luck out and not
> get it at all!  Unfortunately, it started rearing its ugly head a few days
> ago.  I just performed a 75% water change tonight after scrubbing all my
> tank walls and using a toothbrush to comb BGA out of my Riccia and Christmas
> Moss and off of my driftwood and rocks.  Following the water change, I added
> my dechlorinator, TMG, PO4 and Potassium.  Unfortunately, I had to us
> Flourish Potassium rather than dry K2SO4 because I ran out of the dry
> nutrient.  I went shopping for K2SO4 (Sulfate of Potash) and/or KCl (Muriate
> of Potash) to no avail.  I couldn’t find it anywhere!  Is there a specific
> product or brand name I should look for when I’m hunting for this stuff?  Or
> is it just out of season, and I’ll have to wait until spring when garden
> centers start stocking fertilizers and plant-care products?

Both. Try www.liteman.com
The Flourish stuff will get you through just fine.

The reason why I suggested using a UV or a micron/diatom filter is after you
scrape off the algae, it will pick it up and kill/remove it. The water
change and vacuuming also removes the settled algae.

Once your plant's roots get well established and the plant get going better
you'll very likely not see this algae afterwards. Just keep after it. The
beginning stages are rough for most tanks. Expect work and extra cleanings.
Try pulling the light back from the front of the glass also.

I have not be able to work on what makes this algae tick but it did not last
and I found no nutrient correlation to it's presence or absence. It did seem
to grow fast a day or two after a nutrient or a water change was done. I
scraped it off every 2-3 days and kept up on the nutrients. Harass it back.

Some fish that might help are bushy nose plecos. Blackout also seemed to
really be effective also.

Regards,
Tom Barr