Re: exposing the Amano cult

>>Without disparaging Amano's talents as a planted aquarium enthusiast [and
businessman], or the beauty of his tanks, you can keep his overly spiritual
writing.  I can't stand to read it for a second.     You see a nice planted
tank, and the caption is something like: "I smelled my mother's perfume in
the forest at sunset as I descended the snowy
mountain.  I captured all my emotions here with this dwarf hair grass, as
you can plainly see --- [unless you're an insensitive moron, or at least not
as gifted as me, and those who worship me]."     Rediculous!  I don't know
how he gets away with it.  Just list the ingredients and lay out the
methods.  Keep the mystical garbage out of it.
   Venn now wants in on the act, and writes:  "A japanese garden must ...
contain all the elemental forces earth, air, water and fire ...."  Please
tell me how to inject fire into my tank!  All I have is CO2 so far.  Will I
still need a heater?  Will I now need a chiller?  Sheesh.
   I guess it sells, though.  Maybe I should write an astrology guide to
aquariums, and clean up.     I expect the standard religious arguments in
response.<<

I don't think spiritualism, cultisim, or any of your other colorful
descriptions really apply. Amano is an artist. The aquarium is his canvas
that he chooses to express himself on. Like mosts artists he names his work
and gives artful descriptions of them. So what?  Also as most artists, his
expression is often seen as soulful, an expression of something meaningfull
and beautifull. Some people might call that spiritual...again, so what? Art
by definition is appreciated differently or not at all by each individual.
Don't belittle someone elses appreciation. Edward is certainly not alone in
his interest.

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com