Hygro corymbosa

In a message dated 2/14/02 1:30:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< I really like H. corymbosa, but it takes some care.  In this case being
 >"compact" might still get you a large plant that needs a lot of trimming. >>

As some of you may know, I attempt to initiate emergent growth on any aquatic
plant I aquire here in South Florida. Naturally, I've been more successful
with some species than others, and taken as a whole, most emergent growth is
nowhere near as attractive as that cultivated underwater. Still, this adds
another dimension to the hobby and by and large vegetative propagation is
considerably faster, cheaper and less problematic overall when maintaining a
sizable collection with many different species. Most plants slip back into
submerged existence pretty smoothly but the opposite route sometime poses
problems and always takes more effort.

Anyway, the point is: I've found that this variety of Hygrophila (if that's
what it truly is) actually makes a rather handsome bush. After three months
above the water line, the main stem turned into a fairly woody trunk and the
little violet pink flowers that arose put this plant in a league with a sort
of tropical boxwood for landscape uses. Takes to shaping rather nicely too,
speaking of trimming.

I also push the limits of "aquatics" to see how dry I can grow the plants
once they get used to life above water. While the "stricta" variety needed
fairly moist soil at all times, this corymbosa type plant was eventually able
to be put on a watering schedule of once a week in the winter - the
equivillant of most exclusively terrestrial woody perennials.

Sometimes you never know until you try.

Bob Olesen
west Palm Beach