Re: Bulbs sold at Walmart

Art B. asked about the bulbs sold at Walmart.

I'm assuming that we're talking about the dried bulbs that come in packs of
6 or so, in which case...

Score one for Paul K. -- the bulbs are Aponogeton hybrids of some
kind.  I've seen them marketed as "Hardy Aponogeton" and "Dwarf
Lily/Ulvaceous Hybrid".  What they really are, only the company producing
them can say, but they're undeniably Apon.  I tried these once a while
back.  The hybrid plants stay smaller than the real Apon. ulvaceous -- the
largest I grew was around 10", avg was about 6" -- and the leaves are
generally not as undate or contorted, but the plant does flower easily and
can grow into a very attractive mini-apon if the bulb is a good one to
begin with.  Another specific difference I noticed between the true A.
ulvaceous and the hybrid is that the flower of the hybrid has a single
spike where the true ulvaceous is reported to have a twin-spiked flower.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee -- where it's been wet and dreary.