Re: Response times in nutient uptake

 Bob O. wrote
>I ran my tank water through a large amount of charcoal for several days in
>order to prepare for the addition of fish This is a tank that basically had
>no real fish load prior.
>
>The nitrates fell to an unmeasurable level quite quickly

Interesting that the charcoal adsorbed nitrates! Do you test for the other
ions? BTW, what was your reason for running the water thru charcoal instead
of just doing a large water change.

>After a week, when it looked like the fish were settled in OK, I added the
>normal dose of KNO3 along with K2SO4 and the traces.....

>Is it my imagination, or could those plants really have improved that much
in
>that short a time frame? When I returned, I swear:  the plants were
>noticeably greener and even the reds seemed more vivid. I didn't even add P.
>
>In one hour.
>
>Is that possible? Could nutrient uptake and whatever its subsequent
>involvement in coloration is occur that rapidly? Or am I just imagining
>things?

Interesting empirical evidence. Seems reasonable to me. Think about how
quickly a lawn greens up after fertilizing and then by watering. In a plant
tank, you can skip a step :-).

Neil