Re: Algae poll

On: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:14:55 +0800
"Anthony Baker" <bakera506 at earthlink_net> wrote:
> Subject: Algae poll (sorry-first one didn't have subject)

<snip>
> ...it seems like I need to scrape off a "powdery"
> green algae off the front glass EVERY DAY!!  I
> describe it as powdery because when I scrape it off,
> it seems to breakup into a powdery cloud in the tank
> water.

<snip>
> Other digest members have told me they think that
> scraping the glass is normal for high-tech tanks, but
> I am curious to see what everyone else has
> experienced, and if this "powdery" algae is normal.
>
> TIA-
> Tony

I posted my solution to this same problem on the APD.  I was going to get
you the date, but the only message of mine that seemed pertinent elicited a
"Page Not Found."

Anyway, what I did was to start a Vortex Diatom Filter in the tank and then
scrape the film off the glass.  I did this for three days in a row, after
which the green film has never returned.

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html