Algae

Hello all, I have been lurking as well for some time now, and reading much about algae and lighting problems. I have what might be a possible solution for some. Some German researchers came up with this!

Not only the canopy color, but also the canopy density of the trees change as seasons and colors of light do, brightness and darkness depending upon season in the Tropics. The plants growing under it learned to adapt to the different light conditions. Attempts in aquariums acknowledge this. Fact: Aquarium plants can adjust to the different colors of light (" mixed " colors of light over an aquarium are therefore basically possible). If one changes the color of light, then it takes however 3 - 6 weeks, until the plants adjust to the new color of light.

Give plants and fish a " midday peace ". Here is a tried and proven rhythm: In the morning at least 4 - 5 hours light. Then a dark break of 2 - 4 hours. (get a cheap timer) Afterwards at least 4 to 7 hours light. During the dark break the aquarium should not be completely darkened (indirect light of from windows or a lamp, a few feet away in distance). The light times should amount to always at least 4 hours. Shorter phases are not sufficiently used by the plants. In contrast to the general opinion we determined there are no negative effects, neither on fish, nor on plants. Probably because of strong light reductions, e.g. by thunderstorms, where in the Tropics they are relatively frequent.

Algae do not like this " lunch time " obviously. Whether that is because of the fact that the " primitive " algae are less flexible than the " modern " aquarium plants, or whether an improvement in oxidations - / reduction of equilibrium plays the main role, is not clarified yet. Against algae this method works astonishingly well. (in the first days after the conversion you should measure the CO2 regularly and adapt the CO2 accordingly. Usually less CO2 is needed).  Read about algae on the Tropica site, that is a good companion piece to this info!

Also, experiments by this research team show  that light with low to medium blue, medium yellows and greens, and high reds give plants optimum growth. This is due to the way plants grow with light diffusion, another story in itself! (The All Glass compact flourescent strip lights are as close as it gets, 55watts and 96 watts). A German company did the research, I had to translate the results and rewrite this in english. Their method works for me! Don

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---