Overdriving standard 40w bulbs

I am glad I found this list. I was about to spend much moolah on VHO
ballasts and bulbs, until a message came in a previous digest about
"overdriving". I now have 3 standard 40W daylight bulbs  driven by standard
electronic ballasts to outputs better that HO but now quite VHO bulbs.

They get a little warmer than usual, and are probably ot going to last as
long as usual, but they are only $3.00 each, so who cares....

I figure I have the equivalent of 220W for about $85.00.

Thanks people!

Art