Re: evidence

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:26:22 -0500
> From: "Doug Karpa-Wilson" <dkarpawi at indiana_edu>
> Subject: phosphate and algae?
>
> I know it's the received wisdom that phosphate will limit algal growth,

In _most_ natural FW environments. Looking at the plant literature(instead
of focusing on algae) consider the effects of macrophyte growth and PO4
limitations. Most plants can get what's in the water column but also have
large amount available in the soil. They use more nutrients just like larger
algae do better in eutrophic environments vs the smaller picoplankton (take
diatoms vs picoplankton for a search). Larger plants have more enzymes that
they can pull in more nutrients faster. Plot a graph of growth rates as
nutrient substrate increases for these two different algae. Extrapolate what
you would expect to find if you took a smaller algae and compared it to a
larger plant with roots for better access to nutrients.

> I was wondering if anyone knew of any hard data to back that up.

Search JSTOR(you have access to this at IU). There's plenty. There are at
least a dozen journals to choose from that are pertinent.

  I have
> read the initial studies on the krib, but they are fairly flimsy evidence.
> Have any of you played games with phosphate to test it?  Just curious.

More than I have to time to fully analyze:-)
Regards,
Tom Barr