Re: Chain sword leaf form

Robert Paul Hudson wrote:

> Have you ever seen E latifolius? (correct
>spelling this time) Is this another name for bolivianus?

They also call it E
>xingu.

I have never acquired a latifolius or xingu directly from a grower to test
it out. Some of the old literature lists xinguensis as a variety of
quadricostatus.   A lot of these names were used by early growers and
although they may not satisfy the rules of taxonomy, I must prefer to have
more names than less... as long as the name is carefully attached to all
the clones of the original collected plants. If anyone grows these plants
coming out of Singapore, try not to mix it with other wide leaf chain
swords. Also, try it under different conditions to observe its behavior.
Even if you get the exact same plant as the one pictured on Robert's site,
it may look different in you tank(s).  Whenever I get a new chain sword, I
stick it in a marked pot in one of my tanks. I try not to mix them now that
I know how variable they can be.

I know Tom Barr has told me he has grown latifolius before.   Here is
>a picture of it from Oriental Aquariums catalog, along with their tenellus
>and quadricostatus. I wish I knew where Deleware Aquatics is getting their
>Micro tenellus from...if thats what it is.
>http://www.aquabotanic.com/pigmychains.htm

Your pics of tenellus and quadricostatus are emersed plants. I think the
pictured "latifolius" is submersed. Based on my recollection of emersed
tenellus, the one pictured looks like the micro leaf form. This one makes a
major transformation between emersed and submersed forms. Look at the leaf
scans. One of the reasons that we dont have both forms of tenellus in the
hobby is the unfortunate similarity in the emersed plants. The nurseries
sell potted hydroponically grown emersed plants and I have been told by
them that there are not enough interested customers for them to sell both.
There are many unsophisticated buyers that will complain when the very thin
submersed leaves appear.

Neil

Neil Frank / Aquarian Subjects
Interesting old books and magazines (but most plant books are already gone)
http://www.mindspring.com/~aquaristics/aquarian.subjects/