Ballasts, Compact Florescents or PL bulbs, Florescent tubes

Hello Folks:
     I have not felt that my questions have been
properly answered by vendors regarding ballasts.  I
want to know if the ballasts that run 4 florescent
tubes in a 36 inch hood will run those PL or compact
florescent lights like AH supply sells without doing
harm to the latter.  I personally feel there should be
no difference if I match the wattages in a conversion
from one to the other.  It is true.  What do I need to
look out for.  I want to convert an old hood over to
the new double tube compact florescents and use my old
and very new ballast.
Thanks, Diana