Re: Mounting fans on top of hood

Daphne Freeman

> Scott,
>
> Actually, with the metal halide bulb and all the heat it generates,
> the fan
> runs at a fairly high rate for a little while after the bulb is out.
[[[I remember celluloid-slide projectors (in the days before
Powerpoint, etc.) ran the fans after the bulb was turned off to prevent
 cracking of he envelope.  Running the fan after the halides go off,
beside providing cooling for the tank might also promote even cooling
of the bulbs.  I hadn't thought of that.]]]]

> It
> slows down afterwards to where you can't even hear it.   The stand
> has a
> large pipe hooked into the  basement for my auto water changing
> system that
> isn't in place.  During the summer months, I let the temps rise
> downstairs
> at night.   Because it is open inside my stand (on the back of
> course),
> cool air is actually pulled up through the pipe into the hood and
> cools it
> slightly.
[[[[The temp in my larger tank moves up or down rather slowly -- it can
retain heat well.  I would guess that providing addtional cooling at
night helps restrain tank temps during the day -- a lower temperatur
"base" to start with when the lights come on.]]]]
>   Also, since it is so quiet at night I just let it go.
> It would
> probably save energy if I turned it off.  Never thought of it
> actually.
>
> I did, however, think of it on the two occasions I was inside the
> hood
> working in the back of the tank and got my hair caught in that
> thing!!

[[[That's a good warning to all that have fans.  A similar thing
happened to me once with a power drill -- many years ago when my hair
was long and I was even more foolish than now.  Please get a fan guard
for the inside -- or a hairclip to keep by the tank -- or, as last
resort, get a hood so small that you can't fit into it :-)  .  We don't
want any more injuries. ]]]

Best regards,
Scott H.