RE: Not feeding fish while you are away: More proof

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 07:31:34 -0500
From: Neil Frank <nfrank at mindspring_com>
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: RE: Not feeding fish while you are away: More proof

Dave Berryman wrote:
>I just went on vacation last month for 10 days and had zero losses of my
>fishies when I returned.  Seems as though the tank loved it as well.  There
>was minimal algae on the glass when I got back.

I too dont feed my fishes while away. When I returned after 14 days last
year, I came home to a 125 with a cloud baby "Keyhole" cichlids. Clearly,
the lack of normal feeding did not phase them at all. In fact, the lack of
my daily presence probably contributed to the needed isolated conditions
for them to tend their eggs and larvae. Although I have kept keyholes for
30 years and watched them lay eggs many times in planted tanks, this was
the first time I observed free swimming fry. After previous spawnings, I
tried all the "tricks" (small light at night, removed bottom dwellers,
added dithers, etc).

As others on this list have said, I also dont add fishfood every day. Good
for the fish and temporarily lowers water column nutrients to inhibit algae
growth.

Neil