Measuring/dosing K

Hi all,
I have a question about measuring & dosing Potassium (as potassium sulfate,
K2SO4, and potassium nitrate, KNO3). I have been using the charts at
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm to calculate the
amount of KNO3 and K2SO4 to add to my tank to have nitrate at 5-10ppm and
potassium at 15-20ppm. This has worked well, and the nitrates have been
about right until recently. Recently I upped the amount of phosphate, and
now the nitrate uptake has about doubled - 1/2t used to be good for a week;
now it is used up in less than 4 days. It's not a big deal, I can just add
more.

My problem is that I do not have any test kits for potassium, and I've not
seen any in any fish stores. So can I assume that potassium intake is
similar to nitrate, and add potassium as I add nitrate? I know that adding
KNO3 adds both, but the potassium concentration isn't as high.

Thanks,
Rachel (who has alot of qestions!)