Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1505 Algae

   Hello
   Bob Olesen,as I recall you're located in RPB or Wellington? Do you use tap
water?  I set up my 75 on April first and had several bouts with greenwater
but
it didn't develop any fixed algae until late Sept. and then only a fuzz on
the driftwood.
I've found it impossible to remove so I just went with it.In Oct. I did a
major overhaul
and add a new lighting system, not much changed so I added another fixture on
Dec 1. Several things have happened that I hadn't expected
  The sword plants have almost doubled in size and has three flowering stems
The
Aponogeton not only grew it has flowered. The water sprite must be pruned at
least once a week or it will cover the whole tank. The Bacopa has developed a
pink color on the tips and is now very crisp, snapping easily. I let some of
it emerge
and it's flowering. This is the good news
  Bad news. The Riccia and tennelus have disappeared though they're both
doing well in the sump(different lighting system} A soft velvety type of
algae has appeared on old
leaves of rooted plants but not on the stem plants The  java  fern and
anubias have
disappeared completely crowded out by other plants The algae on driftwood is
gone but  is replaced by a very thin swirling type algae that looks like
smoke
from a distance but very bright green. It is easily removed but I have to do
so daily.
I change 50 percent of the water weekly but everything stays the same and I
add
no fertilizers This tank has never had algae on the glass or has it ever
developed
a slime coating and I'm just using tap water which is very hard.
    Another interesting thing is the Crpt. wendtii. supposedly a green
variety
has turned a very dark bronze color and is running in all directions. It  has
grown more
since Dec 1 than from April 1. Running a tank is always an education isn't
it?
   can't wait to get a case of red algae hopefully not from hell lol
                                             Gary     fla