Re: CO2 and Discus

> From: "George Booth" <gbooth at frii_com>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1496
>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:00:39 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com>
> >
> > I'd go 20-30ppm of CO2.
>
> Based on our experience, I would try to limit the CO2 in a
> discus tank more
> than with other fish. We've noticed minor distress and cloudy
> eyes in our
> discus is the CO2 goes above 20 ppm.
>
> This may only be a problem at higher altitudes (less O2 in the
> atmosphere).
> We are at 5000 ft.

I'm not sure why your fish are sensitive at 20ppm, mine aren't
at 30ppm. Altitude may play a role for sure. I'm a stone's throw
away from the sea. Maybe it's the "secret sauce":)?

AM or PM distressed?
 Mornings will have lower DO and higher CO2 readings. My fish
act different when there's a load of DO before the lights go out
the last 2-4 hours. Amano shrimps really show dramatic
behavioral changes due to this cycle(they swarm almost). Could
also enhance the elevation issue. Also, I keep the fish at 82F.
85-86F will reduce O2 _and_ CO2. Colder water holds more gas.
Take that a step further and consider the CO2 table:

Checking the tables one fines that the temp does play some role
in actual CO2 levels and DO saturation levels. The table I use
is set for 77F or 72F? Not 82 or 86F? This could affect both CO2
and O2. How much? Perhaps some. It certainly does for O2. Add
testing errors/imprecisions and we might make it to a difference
of 5-10ppm of CO2. I try to factor in an error range these days
with more data and get a reasonable average(hopefully). Some
Discus Stock may be more sensitive to both or just one gas
level.
 Regards,
Tom Barr