great service ...

"Chin See Ming" wrote:

>>Oh, by the way, I've had nothing but great service from
>>www.bigalsonline.com

I won't disagree with the "great service" ... but as always, you must be
careful about the shipping costs.  On bigalsonline, they have an "Big
Al's" extra shipping charges logo they say is *supposed* to be displayed
by any item that has extra shipping charges due to its weight.

Here is what they say on their website about shipping charges:

"* SOME HEAVY WEIGHTED ITEMS DO NOT FALL INTO OUR REGULAR SHIPPING FEE
SCHEDULE. ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGES MUST BE ADDED FOR THESE ITEMS.
THESE PRODUCTS ARE INDICATED ON OUR ONLINE SITE WITH THE BIG AL'S
CHARACTER INDICATED HERE."

I placed an order a couple weeks ago, however, the items I ordered did
not have the "Big Al's Character" next to them, and I was quite
disappointed to receive a telephone call indicating that there were
additional shipping charges which added up to almost 45% of the original
purchase price.  A wonderful Lady did call and offer me the opportunity
to cancel my order, but a $111.89 delivery charge on top of a $5.95
shipping and handling charge was a little steep on a $258.80 order.

At least they did call and ask about the shipping charges and "offer" me
an opportunity to cancel the order.  I placed a virtually identical
order with another website this summer and while the per item costs
totaled about $36 more ($2 more per item), there were no extra shipping
charges added (I assume the higher per item charge offset their shipping
costs).  This time, I tried to save a few bucks ... next time, I will
probably stay with a proven vendor where I know the shipping costs up
front or at least make sure that I negotiate price upfront.  A saving of
$36 on price didn't offset the higher shipping.

In all other respects and in all fairness, I found the lady from
BigAlsOnline to be VERY conscientious, she actually took the time to
call me TWICE to make sure that I *really* wanted to place the order,
and a second time to make sure that I *really* understood that there
were going to be extra shipping.  So while I may have gotten blindsided
going in, I had my eyes wide open and knew what I was getting coming
out.  BTW, I am very very pleased with my SeaChem Flourite Red that I
received, which my LFS said they were unable to order ...

Greg aka Newsletter

... and thanks to the advice of MrTorts, I rinsed it very very very very
well <GRIN>!!!!!!