Re: Warning for bicarbonate

> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:34:52 +0100
> From: "Greger Lindstrand" <greglind at algonet_se>

> After reading the latest days discussion on KH etc. I decided that I
should raise the KH.
> It was on a level on around 2-3 and PH was 6.7 (have CO2 injection with
Dupla Ph
> control). Utilizing the link to George and Karla Booth's chemestry page I
found that 1
> teaspoon raises the KH with 4 solved in 50 L of water. I calculated that I
would needi
> 11 teaspoons for my 540 L tank.
> I had 7 teaspoon avaliable so I used those and WHAM!!! the PH level shot
up to
> 6.92 and are still rising!

That's why the last sentence in that section says:

"It is best to adjust the hardness slowly, using a test kit to measure the
changes as you go along."

I guess that wasn't clear.

> I've raised the CO2 injection to a rate of zillions of bubbles currently.
> Question:
> Should I panic-change the water or sit tight and wait for the PH to dropp?

You have a pH controller. Let it do the job. The pH is already up, so doing
a big water change will bigger problems

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for aquatic gardeners by aquatic gardeners
    Major updates in July '01! On-line book, articles and tech briefs
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/