Proper distance of lights to cover glass

Hello,

I am installing fluorescent lights in my new hood.
The bottom of the lights are 1 1/2 inches from the
cover glass.  Is this a good distance or does it
need to be closer to 1 inch? The reason I have it
at 1 1/2 inches is that I am worried that I will
not have much air flow under the hood.  The extra
1/2 inch will help move air out the back of the
tank I hope.  On the other hand I could move them
to 1 inch and use a fan.  My hood has 5 bulbs over
a 75 gallon.  I think I have seen some tank pictures
on the web where the bulbs are even higher up but
I don't want to waste light. I would appreciate any
advice.

Roger

http://www.shopping.altavista.com