PO4 sources -- Schultz

Dave Gomberg recently advocated the use of Schultz African Violet liquid
plant food as a phosphate source.

Since I learned about this stuff from Dave, I've been using it too, so I
thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.  For about 7-8 weeks, I've worked my
way up to adding 6 drops a week to a 20 gallon.  So far, so good.  I don't
trust my test kits, so I'm not sure how much PO4 is really going in.  I've
just been watching the plants and algae.  It seems to be enough PO4 right
now, but I'm continuing to experiment.  No algae explosions yet, which is
more than I can say for other terrestrial ferts I've tried.  BTW, thanks
for the tip, Dave.

About a week or two ago, I came across another Schultz product worthy of
mention:  Cactus Plus liquid plant food.  It's a 2-7-7 blend, but is
otherwise identical to the African Violet fertilizer.  I'm using Cactus
Plus in my smallest tanks now.  My thinking is that the lower macro levels
in Cactus Plus make it easier to control dosing in smaller volumes of water
(i.e., it's harder to OD with just a few drops).  Of course, the same
effect could be had by simply diluting the African Violet fert, I guess.

I'm using the Schultz stuff in conjunction with Seachem's Flourish line and
the products seem to be perfectly compatible.

FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc....
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee