Shrimp

In a message dated 12/20/2001 3:56:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Amano himself expressed shock at the price American's pay for these shrimp
and wondered why we didn't use indigenous / native freshwater shrimp as
scavengers. >>

Yeah, he sure did. He also embraced the idea of using whatever nature offered
locally, i.e., wood, rocks, plants, fish, etc., in tanks whenever possible.

I've found a couple varieties of FW shrimp here in Florida which seem right
at home in my tanks and eat algae like crazy. I wish I could identify them.

One type even consumed the little bit of staghorn on my filter outflow --
that pest I never could completely rid myself of otherwise. I wonder why that
stuff confined itself to an inanimate object in that one area? I'm not
complaining mind you, I'm glad it did, but I was always concerned it would
spread if conditions were favorable. Anyway, gone now.

Mine love fish food too. Does everyone else's shrimp dog paddle to the
surface, with the fish at feeding time, their many little legs just a blur? I
think that is so cute! They are every bit as interesting as the fish in their
own way.

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach