Re: Mystery Creatures

    * To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
    * Subject: Mystery creatures
    * From: "Davy Cleys" <davy.cleys at skynet_be>
    * Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:26:49 +0100

I have some other information on my mystery bugs...
While I was changing water today, I noticed that a few of the critters were
sitting on the glas, so I took a closer look. The creatures seem to have six
legs and one pair of antennas. They don't have a belly like water fleas do,
as I mentioned earlier.

Does anyone know what these are? I would really like to get rid of them,
because people are starting to get anxious here that they might spread
through the house...

Definitely springtails, Class Insecta, order Collembola.  They are harmless
to plants and only live in wet places, so they will not spread out of the
aquarium.  I think they eat some surface algae and algae on the sides
higher than the water level.