RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1475

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:46:42 -0500 (EST)
> From: Paul Sears <psears at nrn1_NRCan.gc.ca>
> Subject: Re: pH problems..
>
> > From: "Gregory Gooden \(Annex\)" <ggooden at exc1_annex.com>
> > Subject: PH Problems?
> >
> > WHY did my PH go up? Does PhosGuard do that? I removed the
> PhosGuard
> > right away!
> >
> 	Maybe it was the PhosGuard - what is it?  If it is an
> ion exchange resin, the questions are:  What did it remove,
> and what did it add?

I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it removes phosphates and silicates? (Something aluminum based I believe).

> > To add insult to injury, yesterday my pH registered at 7.48
> (OUCH!!)
> > with both my pH meter AND chemical testing (well, 7.3 with chemical
> > test). So I changed 50% of the water with RO (Arrowhead Distilled
> > Water) immediately, trying to siphon out as much algae as I could...
> >
> > TODAY, the pH is still stuck at 7.0-7.1 (scratches head)...
>
> 	The pH dropped by about 0.3.  That is just what one
> would expect from a 2-fold dilution if the CO2 concentration
> stayed the same. {log(2) = 0.301} That assumes that the pH is
> being controlled by CO2 and HCO3-.

Ah cool then! :)

> > Someone told me the other day (a planted tank guy) that
> after 3 years,
> > you MUST re-do the tank because a deep gravel substrate will "break
> > down" and cause problems like weak growing plants.. Could this
> > possibly be the problem? Could such a condition ALSO put
> the pH outta
> > whack?
>
> 	I can easily belive that one might run out of some
> nutrient that wasn't being added in sufficient quantity.  The
> substrate in by big tank has been there for about six years,
> I think.  I don't think it will affect the pH much.

Okay, so it's possible I'm just "under feeding nutrient".. I guess when I see algae, my gut tells me to stop putting stuff IN to feed it, but I keep forgetting about the plants NEEDING IT... Heh

Gregory

      http://www.myfishbox.com

-- This email has been scanned for viruses before being sent.