RE: ph-KH-CO2

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:52:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Scott Hieber

> Where the CO2 comes from and what is the stable
> level of concentration are two different things...

Indeed they are, Scott. And since it was put forth that organic activity
"explains" why we normally read 2-3 ppm in our tanks, my question basically
reads:

"How, then, does one explain those same levels where organic activity (or
even the hope of it) is _absent_?"

> If the water is exposed to air, the CO2 will pass
> off to the air until the level in the water is in
> balance with that in the air...

Hmm...would that be what's known as "equilibrium"?...

> But the water can pick up CO2 from other sources,
> animal respiration being one, and unicellular
> oganic activity being another -- in fact, isn't
> that how much (most?? all??)CO2 got into the earth's
> atmosphere in the first place?

Sorry, but volcanic activity is the original source. And I believe it's
still the most prevalent...

-Y-