Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1473

> Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:21:42 -0800
> From: "Robert H" <robertph3 at attbi_com>
> Subject: Re: Bolbitis heteroclita
>
> Thats what it sounds like to me. Heteroclita, known as Asian Bolbitis, has
> become quite prevelant in the trade during the last year. The leaves are
> generally three lobes: The two outer lobes much shorter than the inner one.

Yes, thats it.  I had done a search & found some discussions about this plant. After reading
what a lot of folks said about its growth habits, & how it grew underwater versus in air, I
decided I would try both ways. My 200 has quite large built in overflows on each end. On end you
never see because of a nearby wall. The other end has always been an eyesore compared to the
rest of the tank.
So, I stuck 3 of them in the overflow, with the rhizome sitting on some coarse green pond filter
mat in the bottom.
It looks great!

> It grows much the same way as Java Fern, and like other aquatic ferns the
> roots serve only as anchors, not drawing any nutrients, and the rhizome will
> rot if buried. It is really best to attach it to wood or rock just as you
> would Java fern or African Bolbitis.

The other 2 went in a lot so brightly lit 58 that had some free space on some wood.
It will be interesting to see which ones do better.

> It seems to do particularly well
> directly in the path of the filter outtake. Be sure to add nutrients to the
> water colum, since that is the only way it receives its nourishment. Other
> than that it is a pretty undemanding plant.

This tank doesn't get CO2, or as much light as the other tank, so I don't add very much
fertilizer. I hope they grow OK.
Thanks for your reply!
David Modine