Battery Powered Gravel Cleaners

I was checking out bigalsonline and noticed two
different battery powered gravel cleaners (removal of
detritus without taking out water).  As you may know,
my tank has a ton of gunk.  One is by Hagen and the
other by Penn Plax.  Both are under $10.  I would
consider the Eheim sludge extractor, but it's $80!!
Ouch!  Does anyone have experience with either of the
first two?  It would be nice if they're gentle enough
so that I can clean out my micro tenellus stand.
I had a squueze pump thing a long time ago, but it
stunk.

Thanks, Cavan

PS  Can anyone comment on my photoperiod question?  I
didn't get any responses.  Thanks.