Re:algae surface powder + surface skimmer

Ludwigia10 at aol_com wrote:

> I get a nice thick growth of green surface scum algae on one of my tanks, and
> can't seem to get rid of it either. I have rigged up a surface skimmer to my
> HOT Magnum, that I can use intermitantly. After about 2-3 mins of surface
> skimming, it clears off the stuff, but because the skimmer also takes in air,
> my HOT starts blowing bubbles around. So obviously I "shut-down" the skimmer
> . It works, but I would like a more permanent solution.
>
> I had it in a different tank also, but it just kinda went away on its own
>
> Tim

My new tank, still far from a balanced condition, also got the floating
green powdery stuff (also on the glass). Initially the surface skimmer
took care of it, lately it seems to be going away by itself. Maybe it's
just a sign of an out-of-balance tank ? Anyway, your surface skimmer
takes air because you either do not provide an alternate path for the
water to enter from the bottom, or you alternate water port is too small.
Surface skimming with a canister filter is a balancing act, sometimes a
rather delicate one. Provide a properly sized opening at the bottom of the
device and you'll be able to operate it continuously.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD

  "Buy a fish, Save a tree !"
  Project Piaba: http://www.angelfire.com/pq/piaba/