Re:algae surface powder

>> Hello, just another algae question.  I have a 85 gal tank, good MH
lighting,
>> PMDD fertilizing with TMG for micro, CO2 injection.
>> Fert levels look good. Plants grow great (weekly prunings :) ) but I have
>> this thing with an algae that makes a film on top of the water (like pond
>> scum/algae).
>
>How much surface movement do you have? Try increasing it for awhile. Sounds
>like the powder BGA. A number of BGA's float. I'd be interested in getting
>sample if you don't mind.

Nothing that breaks the surface. I have a spray bar that runs a current
about an
inch below the water line (keeps my few water lettuce moving around)
How would I send you a sample :)  Actually it's pretty well receded now (I
stop
the iron a while before posting my question) but I can send some if it comes
back
after this attempt.

>> It's definately related to iron.  If I let the iron go to undetectable
>> levels it goes away.

>Well iron is one part that seems to help it. The NO3 and or fish load(NH4)
>sometimes helps that along. Let the iron drop for awhile (a week) but dose
>the plants good during the day or two prior. Next, try to skim off the scum
>with a cup or dab off with a paper towel. Water changes etc. Increase the
>surface movement during this time. Clean filter etc.
>Resume dosing after a week.
>If it comes back try increasing, so called "powering through" the algae by
>adding 15 mls of TMG 3 x a week. Try to keep the NO3 in the 5-10ppm range.
>Repeat water changes as needed.

Do I keep adding iron too to keep detectable levels?  My plants will love
this.

>> If I add iron even at min levels within a few days the
>> green surface film comes back.  Not a  real pain except for blocking out
the
>> light and giving me a green arm if I prune.  I like to have the iron at
>> higher levels as this does make the plants grow quicker (going by the air
>> bubble count off the plants) and I have a fairly good fish load that I
need
>> the plants to handle.

Thanks
Pete.