Re: potassium phosphate

> From: John <forbem at optonline_net>
> Subject: potassium phosphate
>
> I was recently looking on the web for a source of phosphate to add to my tank. I came across a site that had potassium phosphate monobasic, dibasic and tribasic. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the differences and if it matters all that much which one I buy. Thank you for helping a non-science individual like myself.

	They are KH2PO4, K2HPO4 and K3PO4.  That is, the three hydrogen
atoms of phosphoric acid are removed in turn.  The solutions become more
basic as hydrogen ions are removed, and the last one is pretty alkaline,
so I would be quite careful about using it.  Either of the others is fine.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada