Re: setting up 125 gallon tank & Cable heating

With lots of lights, it can be hard to keep temps down to desireable
ranges without any heaters running at all.  In the summer, my cables
don't run for weeks -- in the cooler months, they do.  Do my plants
grow better in the summer than winter or vice versa.  Yes and no.  So
my experience is that other factors have bigger impacts.  But once
everything else is close to just right, the cables seem to give an
extra oompf.

But there is no doubt in my mind that substrate heating is the most
energy efficient method to heat a tank and maintain an evenly
distributed and stable temperature in the water column.  Forget 5 watts
per gallon if you're heating via cables; much less will do.

Regards,
Scott H.