Re: Mysteries of the Wood Chunk

>Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 05:57:59 -0500
>From: Chuck H <grendel at usit_net>
>Subject: Mysteries of the Wood Chunk
>
>My Christmas Moss is looking like a forest of evergreens just in time for
>Christmas, but some very interesting growth is showing up as well.  The
>mystery lies in these growths;  Are they "new" plants (i.e., hitchhikers),
>growth forms of old ones, or visitors from another planet?  I'll let y'all
>decide.

Chuck, my guess is that those "aliens" on your wood chunk are Java Moss,
Windelov and, or Riccia.

I try to send out only the Christmas moss and narrow leaf java ferns but what
you get could possibly include any of the plants I mentioned above.  You see,
there are many types of plants in my nursery tanks and they get entangled
with the moss.  I try my best to remove them, especially the Uticularia and
Black Brush Algae, when I send the moss out to the good folks on this list.
But my eyesight is not what it used to be so inevitably, a strand or two of
some other plant or a plantlet may come together with your moss.  The Riccia
that I have also consists of both types, the normal bright green ones that
float
and the mutated one that is of the same colour as moss.  These latter ones are
really hard to detect when mixed up with moss.

Take note too that the Java Moss I know could be different from what
you have seen.  A plant importer told me several years ago that there
are more than 40 different species of Java Moss.  He could be exaggerating,
of course, but I'm inclined to believe there's more than one type of Java Moss.

Loh K L