Cardamine roots

Hi all,

With respect to Cardamine lyrata, can the roots that grow from the stem
nodes into the water column be safely trimmed?  I have some lyrata that is
sending out quite a few roots horizontally from the nodes and each has
*many* vertical "danglers" that trail down toward the substrate.  I like
them for the time being (as do my fish) but I can see these roots getting
out of hand in the near future if the current growth rate continues, so I'm
wondering what the best method for controlling them is.

Also, these particular plants have recently been moved to a more open and
better lit area.  I'm curious to know if it's the higher light level or the
transplant that triggered the sudden growth of the roots.  These plants had
been growing unmolested for about 5 months with only a few roots of this
kind.  I pushed potassium up to about 25ppm or so after the move, but
that's the only change in the nutrient dept.  Anyone know what triggers
this kind of root growth?

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA
mailto:grendel at usit_net