Circulating range system

I've got a few spare ten gallon tanks I was thinking about setting up
together as a display grouping - perhaps each one with different types of
fish, plants and arrangements thereof. Instead of having separate heaters,
filters, etc.for each little tank, isn't there someway I could hook them all
together in a circuit or series so I can treat one larger body of water
instead of several small ones?

I have a book written back in 1969 by Feroze N. Ghadially, MD, called,
Advanced Aquarist Guide wherein the author describes a "circulating range"
system that connects two levels of tanks together by siphons and an airlift.
The water is maintained at a certain height by an "automatic leveling siphon"
which is basically a loop of some type tubing with a hole in the highest part
of the loop. The author maintains that the water in the top row of tanks will
remain level with the hole in the top of this loop. I believe one tank in his
system is a Daphnia only tank which, it is claimed, allows for much greater
fish loads with little to fear in the way of pollution.

Does anyone know where I can find some additional and hopefully more current
and detailed information or ideas for connecting and maintaining a small
number of tanks in a series?

TIA

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach, FL