Trimming swords

I'm getting some sword plants that are growing to the top of my 90 gallon
tank and are doing some serious light blocking. Is it okay to trim these
leaves by cutting them off at the bottom or is it better to up-root and
replant smaller younger plants?  This situation also creates open shaded
spots between the swords.  I'd like some suggestions as to what to put in
there.  I guess Anubias would work but is there anything else?