Re: Crassula

> From: Shireen Gonzaga <whimbrel at home_com>
> Subject: Cressula helmsii
>
> Hi ...
>
> recently, I've become absolutely crazy about
> Cressula helmsii. It's such a lovely little delicate
> plant that's wonderful for creating carpets and
> little bushes. I also love the way Amano uses it in
> his aquascapes.
>
> While doing a search on the web about it , I found
> out it was a major noxious weed in the UK, and was
> also an invasive here in the US. :-(
>
> But lucky for me, it's legal in Maryland or my
> conscientous LFS would not carry it.
>
> Anyhow, I do have a question. I love this plant
> (in aquariums) and would like a bit more success in
> cultivating it. If you've had success with it, can you
> please describe your tank conditions please? I'm
> planning to give my 40g Endlers LB tank a
> makeover, and would like to make that plant a
> prominent part of the landscape.
>
> Thanks,
> shireen

Crassula aquatic is found in a few locations here in CA. It looks very
similar and also possesses CAM pathway for temporal night time CO2 uptake(a
rather strange adaptation for a water plant to have the same pathway as a
succulent/cactus but for different reasons). I would not call it IT invasive
one bit. The other species I have not had. It very well may be quite the
weed. Both are cooler water plants.
But for practical purposes......the plant I had (C aquatica) is very much
like the the other species in appearances. Amano pearl grass is a tad larger
and quite nice, suiting the bill better for aquariums.
High light and the usual nutrient levels etc. Treat like most weeds.
Regards,
Tom Barr