Ways of removing big plants

Hi all,

I'm thinking of removing a few of my overgrown echinodorus amazonicus
from my tank. The problem is that they are big plants and have monstrous
root system. The challenge here is to remove them in a way that causes
the least possible disturbance to the susbstrate .

I've thought of just lifting the plant up abit, cut the base of the
crown and remove the plant without pulling out the roots. The only
concern i have is  the root decomposition going on in the
substrate, will that severely cause a deterioration in the quality of the
substrate?

Or does anyone here have better ideas to share?

Cheers,

Kenny