Re: H. polysperma/creepy crawly

John Wheeler wrote:

2. I got a shipment of wildly healthy plants from
Aquatic Plant Depot, and there were some hitchhikers
in with the Riccia. They appeared as little
caterpillars but they would "nip" off the ends of Sag.
subulatta and situate themselves so that they were
inside the bitten end with the head out. They looked
like Sagittaria snails as they creeped around the
tank. Pretty wild but they seem to be harmless (except
to Sag....) I have spent hours watching them make
houses out of my plants. Any ideas on what they may
be?Other than fascinating, of course.

I have a couple of different insects here in my aquarium plant ponds
outside, thay cut off pieces of leaf for a shelter and crawl about
eating plants.   They are cadis fly larvae and the caterpillars of
the moths in the genus Nymphula which include a moth known as
Chinagraph Moth.    The moth larvae are much worse than the caddis
fly larvae.     If you leave them alone they can ruin a pond full of
plants in a week.

Cheers
Dave Wilson