Re: Solenoid

On: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:23:38 -0800
Andy Glasebrook" <paradiselost at ineedhits-mail_com> wrote:
 Subject: What exactly is a solenoid?

<snip>

> I'm not really sure what a solenoid does and if I need one or not.  Is it
> worth the $50 difference.  Do you plug it into the wall? I'm running out
> of outlets already.

<snip>

The solenoid is an electrical "valve" which turns the gas flow on and off.
Mine is plugged into a timer, so that I can coordinate the CO2 flow with the
lighting period.  The solenoid does require an electrical outlet, but if you
plug it into the timer, you only use one outlet for both devices.

I had the M3 econo system and replaced it with the deluxe.  It is designed
so that the regulator, solenoid, and needle valve are all mounted to
form a single unit.  I think it is much better than the econo system with a
separate solenoid.

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html