[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Power Compacts and PH Probes


You can try this if you haven't already.  Flourescents lamps,
especially those with electronic ballasts that convert 60Hz house
current to much higher frequencies emit radio waves that can interfer
with other electronic equipment, but the waves can be reduced in

This usually works.  Take a length of wire - 16 guage or 18 guage
stranded copper is fine - and wrap it around the wires that lead
between the ballast and the bulb sockets.  Attach one end of the wire
to the case of the ballast and to the ground wire that leads between
the ballast and the wall socket.  Attach the other end to the
reflector.  Do this for each reflector/bulb(s)/ballast setup.  The
wraps ought to be an inch or so apart.  This usaully "damps" (as
opposed to "dampens", which would be silly) the radio frequencies
emitted by the bulbs, wires, and ballasts.

Hope this might be helpful,
Scott H.

> "Dustin Swanson" <dustins at greatlakeseng_com>
> Subject: Power Compacts and PH Probes
> I apologize in advance if this was covered in the past.
> What's the best way to have a workable ph probe around a power
> compact light
> (if there is one).  I have two 96watt PC's about 12 inches above an
> open top
> tank, and the ph probe is in the water, I can only use the ph probe
> at night
> otherwise it's all wacky.
> Dustin
> http://www.cloudnet.com/~dustins/fishmain.htm

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month.