C. blassii flowering, pH question

Greetings all:

I posted on Nov 5th concerning growths on driftwood in my aquarium and
falling pH levels. The growths are no longer visable but the pH dropped to 3
measured via EM Science ColorpHast test strips. Most of the fish showed no
signs of stress even at this level. The Panda Corydoras developed a fungal
growth and some died. I adjusted the pH with Na bicarbonate to about 6 over
a few days. I also added four pieces of marble chips. I am still baffled as
to why the pH dropped for the second time. Any guesses? This is a low tech
fish tank with plants as opposed to most of you on this list. I have to
remain an armchair plant tank person as 4 children between 7 and 17 take up
much time and money!

Now as to the subject heading: In this same tank one of my C. blassii is
flowering! These Crypts were all uprooted from a 10 gallon tank about a
month ago or so. I transplanted them into an established 37 gallon tank
using undergravel filtration. I didn't notice any flower forming at that
time but I also wasn't looking either. The tip of the flower is about 12
inches above the gravel substrate so far. I thought that Crypts needed to be
growing in the emersed form in order to flower. Anyone know if this is
unusual? Could the low pH have been a factor in the flowering of this plant?

Thanks all for reading this letter. If anyone would give some insight into
my pH and flowering questions I'd be very happy. Have a happy Thanksgiving
holiday.

Jerry Smith in Bloomingdale, NJ